The City of Waukegan Police Department is seeking experienced Police Officers for lateral appointment.
The Waukegan Police Department has an authorized strength of 158 sworn officers who are committed to partnering with the community to reduce crime and ensure the safety of our citizens.
Our department offers opportunities in all facets of law enforcement including: patrol, investigations, traffic, K9, gang intelligence and narcotics, and neighborhood policing. In addition, our officers are assigned to the NIPAS EST, Mobile Field Force, and regional federal task forces.
- State of Illinois certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board as a law enforcement officer (part-time certification as a law enforcement officer does not meet this requirement).
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- United States Citizen.
- Education – High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience – At least 2 years’ experience as a full-time sworn, certified law enforcement officer within the 3 years preceding the date of application.
- Possess the particular knowledge, skills, abilities, and level of experience required pursuant to the call for qualified lateral appointment applicants. A person currently ranked on an eligible register for entry level Police Officer may apply for a lateral appointment.
- Be able to successfully pass a psychological screening, medical and drug test, and extensive personal interview and background examinations.
- Be of good moral character.
Applicants who meet these minimum qualifications and are selected for lateral appointment shall complete the entry process before receiving an offer of employment.
The entry process may include the following components:
- Oral interviews.
- Applicant experience verification.
- Background investigation.
- Psychological examination.
- Medical examination and drug screening.
After appointment, selected candidates will be required to successfully complete a field training program and probationary period as provided in the applicable collective bargaining agreement for Police Officers.